SEVIER CITIZENS FOR CLEAN AIR AND WATER
NOVEMBER 17, 2011
Economic development. What do we want for Sevier County?
- A brief discussion was held and suggestions made. To be continued at the next meeting. Propose program either in conjunction with, or separate from, Sevier County.
Sevier Power Company – Application status
- Very little change from what was reported last month.
Sevier County atmospheric inversion data
- Sources and records from both the airport and Annabella are available for more than a decade back. Spreadsheet will be developed and analyzed.
Baseline air quality study for Sevier County
- Request UDAQ to make one year study. If they won’t or can’t, then maybe we (together with other groups in Central and Southern Utah) can hire someone to study area – including Panguitch.
What is an “Attainment area?”
Judge Wallace Lee rejects challenge by Kanab Cares over poor notification of public meeting on Viresco’s request for a zoning change.
BLM rules on approving request to strip mine coal between Alton and Bryce Canyon National Park.
- 10 miles from national park
- Over 153 new truck passages per day could be added through Panguitch
- Creates approx 100 new mining jobs
- Creates approx 60 new trucking jobs
- Destroys approx 3,500 acres of forests and grasslands
Four guests were present from Panguitch to outline the need for comments on BLM’s draft Environmental Study. Closing date the first week of January. A 30 minute discussion was held reviewing steps taken by Panguitch citizens to oppose the expansion of Alton Coal Mine and discuss alternatives to stopping the expansion. Many good ideas were shared. Numerous parallels were noted between SCCAW’s history and developments with the Panguitch group.
- Updates were given by Jonathan Leusden and Dick. Completion is in sight.
Holiday dinner at COWBOY CORRAL, Elsinore, Ut. Thursday, Dec. 15, 6:00 PM. Cost is $8 per person. Spouses and guests encouraged. Phone Stan Ivie at 896-6266 with reservations.
Guest speaker for January is Malcolm Nash. January 19 at 7pm in Richfield, Ut.
We are a dedicated and passionate Citizen’s activist group with some very smart people involved. Stay in Touch! Simply enter your email address below:
Note: We will never sell our email list or send you unrelated emails. We hate Spam!